Grove Park Inn, Asheville, NC
Ten years post college, I finally realized I couldn’t live my life without my best friend. Kris and I got engaged in New Orleans outside of one of our favorite restaurants, Irene’s on December 2, 2016. The city was coming to life with Christmas lights, holiday parties and the always welcomed cooler temperatures. One thing I love about New Orleans is the loose alcohol laws, which meant I was able to enjoy a glass of wine as we walked around the cobble stoned streets being surrounded by friends and family for my delightful engagement surprise.
So many things go into consideration when it comes to finding the perfect wedding location and each couple must choose what is most valuable. I had always envisioned everyone we love gathering together and mountains as the back drop. There is something magical about standing in the midst of God’s awesome creation surrounded by your closest friends and family as you enter into the forever covenant with your best friend.
Asheville is packed with wonderful venues and gorgeously decorated spaces, not to mention the natural landscape and crisp mountain air. Choosing our perfect place was pretty easy. Some of my most fond childhood memories are from weekend trips to the Grove Park Inn. I remember being a little girl, arriving to the hotel late in the evening, the stars were shining, and being blown away by the lobby presence. The staff loaded our luggage cart and then proceeded to the elevator located just outside the huge fireplace! In February of 2017 Kris and I made our special weekend getaway together and just as I predicted, he fell in love with the Inn as well.
5 Favorite Moments~
When I think about our wedding, I think about the whole weekend! Not only was it magical but every single little detail was everything I had envisioned and so much more. Discovering the strength and power of writing down what we want to accomplish, sharing it with others and bringing it to God through prayer is such a marvelous fulfillment.
1. As the ceremony was taking place and the minister was delivering his speech, I remember Kris looked at me with a huge smile on his face and whispered: “Can you believe it, can you believe this! It’s just as you envisioned babe, this is our fairytale coming to life!”
2. The wind right before the ceremony was absolutely insane! I love wind, it makes me feel closer to God. Kris and I had a close friend Sarah, pass away from Ovarian Cancer. I invited her parents to the wedding and wasn’t sure if they would be attending, to both of our surprise they shared our very special day with us. As soon as the ceremony began, the wind came to a complete halt! Coincidence, not? Sarah was there in spirit! During the reception, seeing Sarah’s parents on the dance floor brought so much joy, a piece of Sarah will always live in us all.
3. Love. True love does exist and I wanted everyone attending to be reminded of that. Once the ceremony had ended, I remember walking back down the aisle with my husband at hand and when I looked up and witnessed that every balcony was full of people watching and applauding us on our special day, it was an amazing and unforgettable feeling. I felt so much love and support, some from even strangers.
4. My Grandparents! Seeing them both all dressed up and enjoying themselves was such a treat.
5. The crazy weather. We got married on a Friday, it was sunny and seventy. Saturday was a complete wash out and Sunday it snowed. Only in the mountains! Sunday, all our families and guests ventured home. Kris and I finally had some alone time, we each poured a glass of wine and sat for hours watching the mountains get covered in snow. The perfect ending to a beautiful weekend.
Wedding Date: Friday 10/27/17
Venue: Omni Grove Park Inn | Planner: Mary Bell Events | Hair: Lola Salon | Makeup: Blush Asheville | Photographer: Tim Will Photography | Videographer: Crown Alley Films | Ceremony/Cocktail Hour Musicians: Sol Fusion | Reception Music (Band): Sol Fusion | Lighting: LimelightFX | Minister: Justin Paslay | AV for OGPI: Encore Technologies | Rentals: Classic Event Rentals | Florist: Flower Gallery of Asheville